Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Teacher's Eyes Are Sick

As the title suggests, I am having some problems with my eyes. For several months, my left eye has had on-again off-again redness and sensitivity. It wasn't conjunctivitis, because there was no discharge or itching, just redness and a little light sensitivity. I got some eye drops from the pharmacist and have generally written off the problem. It would happen again every month and a half to two months, but would always go away within 2-3 days. I am not a big fan of going to the doctor, so I avoided going.

When I woke up Sunday, I had the same issue again. Annoyed, I just ignored it and after around 6 hours, it had gone away completely. I was pleasantly surprised, and didn't think anything else about it.

Well, Monday morning when I woke up, as I tried to pry my eyes open, I felt searing pain in both eyes. I had to immediately squeeze them shut. I knew my first priority was getting my contacts out. So I managed to get one out, but it made my eyes water so badly with pain that I couldn't get out the second one. Frustrated and scared, I started to cry a little, and wouldn't you know? That helped. I managed to get the other contact out and immediately started to evaluate my situation.

First: I could not see. Thankfully, no, I wasn't actually blind. But the pain was so bad I couldn't keep them open more than around 5-10 seconds at a time. I managed to look in the mirror and saw that I basically had 2 red spheres for eyes. I knew that the time had come: I needed to see a doctor.

I called my clinic and got an appointment, but couldn't see the eye doctor until the following day. I texted my boss (it was around 8:30 am) and told her the situation. She was super understanding and I promised to keep her updated.

With Gramma's help, I managed to get to the hospital for my appointment. The family medicine doctor said he thought it was allergies but couldn't be sure, and that I needed to see the eye doctor. I managed to get a morning appointment for the next day, despite the department being booked until 28 May! (Holy cow, I said!)

I called Jackie and she said that it was okay for me to take a rest today (which was very good, since I don't think I could have kept my eyes open for an entire day). I spent the rest of the day in bed, napping off and on.

Being home sick with eye problems might be the worst thing ever. You can't watch TV, use the computer, or really even your phone because it hurts to look at anything! You can't read a book or basically do anything except sleep. So, I slept. A lot!

Today I woke up early to go to the ophthalmologist. I was planning to go to work afterwards, so I got all ready. My right eye had calmed down a lot, but my left eye was still extremely red and burning. When I saw the doctor, he put some drops that looked like highlighter fluid in my eyes and I suffered to keep my eyes pried open for 30 seconds as he shown light into them.

He finally determined that my corneas have an infection. He thinks it is from my contacts, but I am not convinced. He didn't seem to understand that my contacts are MADE to be worn at night as well as during the day. I've worn this brand for years and never had any issues with it. Regardless of the cause, though, I needed some medication.

I left with 4 prescriptions and a follow up appointment for next week. I felt good that I had gone to the specialist instead of crossing my fingers the family doctor was right about it being allergies!

I called Jackie and told her what the doctor said, and that I would see improvement and feel better in around 2-3 days. I was planning to go in to work, but she said they could cover my classes for today, but I should come in tomorrow. I was shocked and very appreciative. I could have probably suffered through today, but when offered a sick day, take it. Anyway, I probably won't get sick enough to need another sick day while I'm here (knock on wood!), so I gratefully accepted the chance to rest my burning eyes.

After leaving the hospital, I decided I need some new glasses. I love mine, but they are heavy and by the end of the day, my head aches. I went to the glasses place across the street from me and picked out some nerdy/hipster glasses in a light grey. They are extremely light and I think they're kinda cute! I tried on many pairs before I got these. They were 30,000W for the frames and 30,000W for the lenses. So around $60 total! Not bad at all...

After getting home, I put the eye drops in and took a 5 hour nap. I will post a photo with my new glasses once I look presentable enough! In the mean time, I think I'll go back to sleep. Thankfully I can type with one eye closed/one eye opened with my screen brightness turned way down. Haha! I'm such a dedicated blogger...

P.S. The title of this blog is what I anticipate my kids will say tomorrow when I explain why I wasn't there the past two days.  They're a bundle of laughs. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner